Thursday, October 1, 2015

Activity Two: Reflection on learning and practice

1. Choice is CHOICE


For all of the assignments (bar one) we have been given the freedom to carry out our assessments in a variety of ways. I have thoroughly enjoyed having the creative license to meet the criteria using platforms other than essays. I do not like essay writing (who does?), but I do like making movies. 
This freedom of choice has provided me with the chance to try out new apps such as ThingLink to share my learning. It has also given me the opportunity to further my movie making skills through the use of stop-go animation and green screens. While at times it took a bit longer to complete my assignments, I was very engaged in what I was doing and I believe I learnt more as a result. Most of the assignments I submitted were movies. I can easily share my learning with my colleagues and upload the movies onto my RTC site.

Change in practice: As a result, I am making changes to the way that I assess my learners. I have tried to think of more creative ways that they can present their learning. I have provided them with a few options like iMovie and Prezi and I am adding to these every week. 
This means that I have to be very explicit about the learning outcomes and achievement objectives that need to be met. One way I have tried to do this is by creating rubrics similar to those provided for us by Mind Lab, but I have simplified them. 
Here is an example of a movie made by a group at the end of their inquiry into road safety and the school's pedestrian crossing:



2. I need to improve my COLLABORATIVE skills

From the get go, the learners in the Mind Lab course were expected to collaborate with each other to complete tasks. To be completely honest, most of the time, I would've preferred to carry out these activities independently without all the negotiation or lack there of (cue awkward silences). I decided that collaboration using digital tools would become a focus of mine for the duration of the Mind Lab course and I've learnt that the benefits of collaboration far outweigh flying solo. This is a work in progress. 

Change in practice: My approach to collaboration has completely changed. I have come to the realisation that collaboration is challenging, therefore it must be a challenging for my learners also. I can recall numerous times when I have expected groups to collaborate on tasks just by giving them a task to complete "as a group." Learners need to be equipped with the tools that will help them in future collaborative projects and they will not develop these skills if they are just assigned collaborative projects and expected to figure out how to complete them (Lowry, Curtis & Lowry, 2004).

3. Paperless learning is tricky


I never would have predicted that following course content online would be as challenging as it has been. I am used to working with a pen and paper. I am used to being given textbooks to read and a book of readings.

Change in practice: It is very important not to make assumptions my learners capabilities with digital devices. While many of them (like myself) spend a lot of their time on a device of some sort, they do not necessarily understand how to use these for learning. This is the case for my Year 6 learners who have had 5 years of traditional literacy classroom experiences. I need to consider how to prepare and support my learners when using digital tools for learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment