Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Activity 3: Response to Finlay's Article

Response to Finlay's Article

I have to admit to being a bit of a cynic when it comes to reflecting. Perhaps it is the memories I have of staying up late trying to complete Smyth's model of reflection during my years of training to become a teacher. Maybe it is the way that these routine reflections are now creeping into the teaching profession as a way of meeting the Registered Teacher Criteria. Or perhaps it is my experience of failed reflection activities with the learners in my classroom. It is interesting to note that Finlay highlights many inadequacies with these scenarios of reflection which may explain why they have not been positive.

Critical Reflection

I believe all good teachers should and do reflect on their practice. I am constantly thinking about what I am doing while I teach and spend a good deal of my time on the drive to and from school reflecting on what has happened (which probably explains why my nails are so short). However, this article has made me consider whether this thinking leads to critical reflection? Or whether I am just thinking about what has occurred? My thoughts definitely stem from doubt, hesitation or perplexity as identified by Dewey (p.3), but I am unsure as to whether these reflections force me to evolve or as Larivee (p.2) puts it, "stay trapped in unexamined judgement."

Reflection-in-action/Reflection-on-action

Shon's (p.3) identification of reflection-in-action (thinking while doing) and reflection-on-action (after-the-event thinking) rang true with my own beliefs about reflection. All teachers, regularly reflect on what they are doing while they are doing it. This is perhaps what separates experienced from novice teachers. Those with experience think on their feet and have the ability to react in a calm and confident manner in all types of situations. I think that teachers using this form of reflection-in-action should be acknowledged more often. I don't agree that we must always produce long written forms of reflection to prove that we are doing it. Quinn (p.17) agrees that reflective tasks can be very time-consuming and unrealistic in work contexts and busy practitioners would benefit from developing their reflection-in-action.

Which Model? When, where and how? 

With a new found appreciation for reflection, I feel somewhat panicked about the need to find a reflection model that I prefer.  However, this article has highlighted that there is not a one size fits all approach when it comes to reflection. Different models suit different purposes and can be applied selectively. Therefore I need to do further reading to explore the different models available and to select those that are not only suitable for myself but also my learners.
I think that some of the ideas provided by Finlay (2008) for developing reflective practices with my own learners are great. Here are some ideas that I would like to try:

  • Provide opportunities for my learners to hear the experiences of other learners and how reflection has helped them
  • Present a variety of models (once my learners are engaged and positive about reflection)
  • Practice both dialogic and private reflection
  • Link reflection skills up with the critical analysis needed when doing research/inquiry.

No comments:

Post a Comment