Thursday, January 21, 2016

#oneword2016 - FLEXIBLE

I started this blog as part of my @NZMindlab journey last year. One question that has been bugging me over the last few months since the conclusion of the programme was/is, should I keep this blog going? Well thank goodness for the daily emails I receive from twitter that inform me about popular posts in my network. A couple of weeks ago I came across a tweet from @EdBlogNZ outlining the January #EdBlogNZ #cenz16 challenge. This lead me to the #EdBlogNZ blog. Perfect! What a great way to continue blogging, 12 challenges/posts over the course of one year, not to mention a whole new community of learners to be connected with.


So here goes: Goals/thoughts/plans 2016

This year I am back in the classroom, at a new school. I feel like I am a BT starting all over again. My mind is racing with all sorts of ideas both new and old. The school I am teaching in is going through many changes and is headed in exciting new directions. There is one word that will me my mantra this year and that is FLEXIBLE.

While surfing Twitter I came across this great post about learning in a FLEXIBLE way. In summary Karyn, the principal of Te Karaka Area School in Gisborne, talks about leaders of learning being FLEXIBLE in order to be truly responsive to individual learners' needs. This means giving teachers the opportunity to innovate and experiment. Karyn also talks about having a FLEXIBLE learning environment.

I have started to think about how much work we do in advance. Long-term plans, overviews, predetermined inquiry topics etc. I have always found planning so far in advance challenging. If we are aiming towards a learning environment that is FLEXIBLE and ensures our learners are "active, engaged and successful learners" (my school's vision), then we must be responsive and involve learners in their learning and stop making decisions for them.

Wish me luck! I will keep you posted! 

No comments:

Post a Comment